Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Nike Women's Virtual Half

By Lisa: On Saturday, January 14th, 2012 I completed the Nike Women's Virtual Half (see finisher's bracelet below). The temperature was around 38 degrees or so when I started. Pretty chilly since I've lost the thick blood from my Wisconsin days! I was part of the mighty TEAM VICTORIOUS (via a Nike challenge), who received automatic entry into NWM in October for uniting as one! Best of all, our efforts helped raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. :)
While running I thought about a former Coach's niece, Breezy who is only 9 and had to have a part of her leg amputated due to cancer. I also thought of my friend and team honoree David B. who runs and bikes more miles than only one could imagine doing. David was diagnosed with Waldenstroms Non Hodgkins Lymphoma back on October 31st 2006. It is a rare blood cancer that is treatable but not curable. The doctors also said that he had really bad osteoporosis in his back and spine, osteopenia in his legs and arms, arthritis in his shoulders, and over a 50% hearing loss...years later, despite how his body feels, he pushes through it all in his efforts to help find a cure for blood cancers. AMAZING!

"Breezy" Brianne, I learned is most inspired by Sarah Reinertson. Breezy says, that's going to be her! Check out Sarah Reinerston's video on YouTube and I'm sure you'll be inspired:

No comments:

Post a Comment